Venezuelans vote over land in Guyana – level 1
There is a referendum in Venezuela. President Nicolas Maduro supports this referendum. It is about a territory in Guyana.
The Essequibo River territory is near the border with Venezuela. Some people believe that there is oil in the ground. Venezuela wants this area. The International Court of Justice does not say no to the referendum. But the court asks both countries not to make the problem even worse. Maduro wants to see if people like his government. People will choose a new president in 2024.
Guyana does not agree with the referendum. Maduro asks people to say yes to the referendum. Many people hope to get back land which, they think belongs, to them.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the significance of the Essequibo River territory and the referendum for both Venezuela and Guyana?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.