Venice and cruise ships – level 3
In Venice, Italy, the government had said that cruise ships were banned from the historic center of Venice.
However, last Saturday, a huge ship came to the center for the first time since the coronavirus pandemic started, and hundreds of people protested. People stood at the docks and sailed in boats to block the water, play music, and yell at the ship. Protesters said that the cruise ships were destroying the city, that the ships were too huge, and they made problems before the pandemic.
A cruise lines director for Italy explained that Venice is a home port, which means that many itineraries begin or end there. He said that a lot of money is made for Venice and the cruise lines, and it would be a big problem to remove Venice from the itineraries. He said they were working on a resolution with the city.
Difficult words: ban (to not allow something), dock (a part of a port where goods are loaded), yell (to shout), itinerary (a list of places that you visit on a trip), resolution (a way to fix a problem).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.