Venice’s flood safety – level 3
In 1984, engineers design the Mose; it is a dam system to protect the Italian city of Venice and its famous Piazza San Marco from floods.
The dam system has of 78 flood gates; they rise from the Venetian lagoon floor and protect the city from tides of up to three meters.
Over the years, regular high tides have affected the city. In 2019, the second-highest tide ever recorded devastated the city. Recently, the system withstood the challenge of an exceptionally high tide when heavy rains swept across the country. The tide was 135 centimeters above normal, and usually half the city would be underwater, but this time, the city remained dry.
The Mose began operating in October 2020; however, the multi-billion-euro project was slow to open due to corruption, cost overruns, and prolonged delays.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.