Very big ships – level 3
When the Ever Given became stuck in the Suez Canal in March 2021, holding up nearly 200,000 tons of cargo from fresh fruits and vegetables to IKEA furniture, people realized the huge size of these megaships.
Megaships that now dominate container shipping have been growing in size for more than 50 years, and even doubling in capacity every few years since the 2000s. The bigger they grow, the more containers they carry, and the cheaper the transportation costs for each container. However, they cause problems for consumers and producers, too.
Megaships need places to dock, deeper water channels, stronger quay walls, and larger equipment. These are expensive adaptations for many ports that are publicly owned. Another problem is the increased risk to the goods that megaships carry because they go slower than other ships. The losses of cargo are increasing every year, and on top of that, megaships are also a bigger target for piracy and cybercrime.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.