Very old beer in Jerusalem – level 3
Jesus is said to have turned water into wine but there was never any mention of Him turning it into beer. And that could be for a good reason, as it didn’t taste nice.
It’s after a brewery in Jerusalem produced a craft beer they believe tastes like the beer that was around during Jesus’ time. A team of geneticists at Tel Aviv University identified the strain of wheat used for beer in the Holy Land 2 millennia ago. But a sip of the concoction may explain why wine is the beverage of choice in the Bible.
“The flavour was surprising, this is something that we, that we never expected. We got like this kind of red fruit, kind of a raspberry flavour, and there is no fruit additions into it, and it’s only because of the grains we used.”
At the time Jesus was around, water was often contaminated so it was safer to drink alcohol. Much of this was fermented but with much lower alcohol percentages than traditionally consumed now.
But, if you were hoping to try this ancient-tasting beverage, you’re out of luck. Staff at the brewery have drunk all 20 litres they produced, and aren’t planning on brewing any more.
Difficult words: craft beer (a beer made in a traditional way), strain (a kind, a type), beverage (a drink), concoction (a mixture), ferment (to let something get old so it preserves it).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos