Very small apples – level 1
Yakutsk is a city in Siberia, Russia. It is the coldest place on Earth. The temperature is below zero almost all year. It can be -60 degrees Celsius there. The ground is frozen.
Plants adapt to the cold. They grow close together. They grow only a few centimeters above the ground.
Nikofor Ivanov lives in Yakutsk. He grows apples. The apples are very small. They are as big as berries. They are crunchy. They taste like normal apples.
Ivanov harvests the apples in the past. He makes jam. It is very hard work. Ivanov picks only a handful of apples and he eats them. Birds like the apples, too.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.