Viktor Orbán is Hungary’s prime minister again – level 3
Hungary’s nationalist prime minister Viktor Orbán declared victory in the national election, winning a fourth consecutive term.
In his speech, Orbán responded to criticism from the Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy. Zelenskiy repeatedly challenged Orbán over his lack of support to Ukraine and unwillingness to condemn his ally Vladimir Putin for the invasion in Ukraine. Orbán also refused to allow weapons to Ukraine or military aid to pass through Hungarian territory.
Orbán’s party has strengthened its hold on the government through supporting media that supports them and through changes to the voting system. Critics said the changes made elections unfair. The ruling party has retained its two-thirds majority, so it has changed Hungarian politics and social policies.
Difficult words: nationalist (a person who strongly supports political independence), condemn (to criticize something or someone strongly, usually for moral reasons), retain (to keep or continue to have something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos