Volcano in Chile erupts – level 2
Villa Rica Volcano is a volcano in Chile. It is located near a popular tourist area south of the capital of Santiago. It is one of South America’s most active volcanoes. It last erupted in 2000.
There was an eruption of lava and ash in the early hours of Tuesday last week. The ash shot up two miles into the sky. This big eruption did not last long, but the volcano remained active.
The eruption injured nobody, but some 3,385 people were evacuated from the area.
Difficult words: lava (hot fluid rock), ash (the soft grey thing which remains after something burns).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this volcano?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.