Vote in Kashmir – level 1
Kashmir is in India. There are very many Muslims there. Kashmir has its own government. India changes this. Now, Kashmir must have a similar government to India.
Many people are not happy and they protest. Police come. 4000 people go to prison. Many leaders go to prison, too.
People in Kashmir vote for new leaders. Many people come and vote.
However, people are not happy. They say that the vote is not fair. The problem is that a lot of leaders are in prison. Some leaders protest, too. They do not take part in the vote.
Difficult words: protest (an official way to say that somebody does not agree with something), prison (a place where police put somebody who does something bad), vote (verb: choose a favorite person in politics, noun: the choice for the person in politics), take part (be a part of an activity or a process).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.