Waffle-Falafel in Israel – level 2
In Israel, a popular food trend from two cultures started when a restaurant changed the regularly used chickpeas and pita to a Belgian waffle.
A cook at the restaurant said that the food is similar because the waffle is made from falafel. However, the restaurant does not use oil or fry the falafel.
Half of a waffle with fillings like tahini and vegetables costs about £6.30 or $8.17. A long line was at the restaurant on the fifth day of the restaurant being open.
Difficult words: chickpea (a yellowish type of pea that people use in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean food), pita (a type of bread that you can split open to put food inside), falafel (a food made from chickpeas and usually eaten in pita), tahini (a thick sauce made from sesame seeds).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.