Walker’s daughter sues Porsche – level 3
The daughter of the late actor Paul Walker is suing Porsche over the crash which killed the star. The 16-year-old has filed a lawsuit against the car manufacturer, claiming it’s at fault for her father’s death. The Fast and Furious actor was a passenger in the Porsche Carrera GT a friend was driving when it hit a pole and burst into flames in 2013.
Meadow Rain Walker is claiming that the carmaker took safety shortcuts, and design flaws meant her father was trapped in the vehicle after the crash. Legal documents reportedly say the car’s seatbelt “snapped Walker’s torso back with thousands of pounds of force, thereby breaking his ribs and pelvis,” meaning he could not escape the fire.
They claim the car lacked “features that could have prevented the accident or, at a minimum, allowed Paul Walker to survive the incident”.
Porsche is yet to publicly respond to the claims.
Difficult words: late (dead), sue (to take somebody to court because he or she did something wrong to you), file (to give a document to a court), lawsuit (a problem that a person or organisation brings to a court of law), claim (to say), flaw (a mistake), reportedly (according to what some people say), snap (to break), torso (your body, not including your head, arms, or legs), pelvis (a set of curved bones at the base of your spine).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.