Walrus cancels fireworks – level 1
In November, people in France see a walrus in the sea. In December, people see the animal in Britain.
At the New Year weekend, the walrus reaches Scarborough. Scarborough is a small town in Britain. The animal stays in the harbor. Local people and tourists are very excited. They name the walrus Thor. Thor takes a rest after a long swim. Authorities put a barrier around him to keep him safe.
Authorities cancel New Year’s fireworks. They don’t want to scare Thor. After a few hours, he swims away.
Difficult words: reach (to get to a place), harbor (a place near the sea where ships stay), firework (small explosives which people light and they make the sky full of colors).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos