Walrus cancels fireworks – level 3
An Arctic walrus appeared in the British town of Scarborough over the New Year weekend, and it drew hundreds of spectators.
The walrus named Thor had already been spotted in France in November and off the coast of Hampshire in early December. Thor’s surprise appearance forced authorities to cancel Scarborough’s New Year’s fireworks display over fears the event would distress the mammal.
The walrus appeared to sleep at the harbor where he took a rest after his long adventure. Authorities put cordons in place to protect him from animals and people. Thor’s visit to the town came to an end when he inched towards the waterside, plopped in, and swam off.
Difficult words: cordon (a line of persons or things around someone or something), plop in (to fall into water without a splash).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos