War in Colombia – level 2
Colombia has been in a war for the last 52 years. It is the Colombian government versus Marxist rebels. More than 220,000 people died in this civil war, and millions were displaced.
Juan Manuel Santos, the Colombian President, promised to end this war. People gave him the 2016 Nobel Peace Prize for his work. In his speech, he said that the prize is not for him but for all Colombians, especially the millions of victims.
Difficult words: government (leaders of a country), displace (make somebody leave his or her home because of war), victim (a person who is hurt or dies).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos