War in Yemen – level 3
In Yemen, there has been a civil war for three years, something which the UN described as the ‘world’s worst humanitarian crisis’. More than 10,000 people died in this war.
The war is between pro-government, Saudi Arabia-backed coalition and the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels. The Houthis captured the city of Hodeida, which is the chief port of Yemen in 2015.
The Saudi-led coalition is trying to take this city back and launched airstrikes on the city. Fighting in the port prevents food and aid from reaching the country’s civilians, and airstrikes hit schools, hospitals, and even wedding parties. Many Yemeni civilians died.
The Houthis responded by firing long-range missiles at Saudi Arabia.
Difficult words: back (support, help), coalition (a group of people working on a goal), launch (start), prevent from (stop something from happening), civilian (a person who is not in the military).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos