Warsaw old street – level 2
In Warsaw, the capital of Poland, workers are building a new square called Central Square. It will be ready next year.
Workers found old streets under the ground. People have a rare chance to see these streets before they build new buildings there. The square will have plants and a modern feeling, but it also wants to remember the past. A tall building, the Palace of Culture, is near the square. Joseph Stalin gave the building to the city in the 1950s. Long ago, the area had many houses, but they disappeared during World War II. The new square will look like the old streets.
Builders found the bases of the old buildings, with stones and tracks for trams. They also found a platform where important people watched parades.
Difficult words: rare (when something doesn’t happen very often), disappear (to go or be in a place where others can’t see a thing or person), parade (an event when many people walk or march somewhere).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What ideas are being incorporated into Central Square to recall the past?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.