Water and animals in the streets – level 2
Severe flooding hit Tbilisi, the capital of Georgia. At least nine people died. The damage is in the millions of dollars. Heavy rains turned the river which flows through the city into a torrent – it swept away many buildings and cars.
The water also damaged the cages of some zoo animals, and more than 30 animals escaped. People saw tigers, lions, bears, wolves and a hippopotamus in the streets. People caught some of the animals and killed others, but people should still stay indoors.
Difficult words: severe (very bad), torrent (a very strong and fast river), sweep (to move).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the flooding?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.