Weapons on a ship – level 3
The US Navy has seized a massive arms shipment aboard a dhow in the Arabian Sea.
Thousands of assault weapons, machine guns and sniper rifles were hidden on the vessel. The US Navy didn’t identify where the weapons originated, nor where they were going. However, the weapons resembled those of other shipments intended for Yemen’s Houthi rebels. An initial investigation suggested that the ship came from Iran, despite a US arms embargo.
Yemen is awash with weapons that have been smuggled into poorly controlled ports since the start of its civil war in 2014. The shipment comes as the US and other countries try to end a conflict that led to one of the world’s worst humanitarian disasters. The arms shipment shows that the war may still have far to run.
Difficult words: dhow (a sailing boat that is used mostly in the Arabian region), embargo (an official ban on trade or other commercial activity with a particular country), awash (containing large amounts of something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos