Wear Red Day – level 3
The US national Wear Red Day is a campaign from the American Heart Association, to raise awareness about heart disease in women.
On the first Friday of February, Americans wear red to show that heart disease kills one out of every three American women every year. Although heart disease is about 80% preventable, it is the number one killer of all women. In fact, heart disease kills more women than all cancers today.
Risks for heart disease are high blood pressure, high levels of cholesterol, high body mass index, smoking, and genetics, or what conditions they get from their family. Experts are seeing an increase in heart disease in younger and younger women who they never thought were at risk.
Heart disease takes a long time to develop, and people can prevent it by caring about their health. The best ways are to pay attention to what you eat and exercise regularly. Limit sugary drinks and eat more grains, fruits, and vegetables. Pay attention to your body and learn healthy ways to cope with stress.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.