White tiger babies in Hungary – level 3
A few lucky visitors got a rare glimpse of these baby White Tigers, as they received their first vaccination at a zoo in Hungary. The Bengal cubs, who haven’t been formally named yet, were born two months ago but had to be separated from their mother, as she refused to take care of them shortly after their birth.
The zoo doctor could be seen giving them a thorough examination and administering their first vaccination as well as feeding them tablets to prevent worms.
The cubs, who are thought to be female, are developing well with the close attention of the zoo keepers who bottle-feed them and give them small amounts of meat. And like most babies, they’re becoming increasingly boisterous as they grow up.
The two youngsters are said to enthrall visitors getting the chance to see a very unusual animal – a variant of the Bengal Tiger found primarily in India – Bengal White Tigers are extremely rare in the wild.
Conservation efforts mean their numbers have been growing in captivity, but the World Wildlife Fund estimates that there are fewer than 2,500 Bengal Tigers left in the wild.
Difficult words: glimpse (a quick look), cub (a young tiger), administer (to give), boisterous (noisy, energetic, and cheerful), enthrall (to fascinate), conservation efforts (trying to save the animals).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.