Who will buy Manchester United – level 1
Manchester United is a football club from England.
The club has problems. It is talking about selling itself for over 6 billion dollars. A group led by Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad al-Thani from Qatar may buy the club. The Glazer family owns a big part of the club now. The family buys the club in 2005 for 1 billion dollars. But the club doesn’t win a title since 2012.
British billionaire Jim Ratcliffe offers to buy the club, too. But the club likes the offer from Qatar more. If the deal happens, it will be one of the biggest ever in sports. Manchester United’s worth will be over 10 times its yearly income. Some fans hope that new owners can make things better for the club. Others worry about Qatar’s human rights problems.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think the implications of a Manchester United sale would be for English football?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.