Why we say “God bless you” – level 1
People sometimes sneeze when they have a cold. Or they sneeze when something bothers their nose. Their nose gets full. Suddenly, air comes from their nose and mouth.
People usually say “God bless you” when someone sneezes. Some countries say other things. In Spanish language countries, people wish good health when someone sneezes.
Nobody really knows why people say, “God bless you.” People have some ideas about it.
In the past, a plague happens in a lot of the world. People are scared. The disease is very dangerous. Someone who sneezes is sick. People ask God to keep him safe from the plague.
These days, people say these words normally. For many people, it is polite.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.