Wife Carrying Competition – level 2
The 17th annual wife carrying competition took place in New England. Forty-four couples competed on the 278-obstacle course.
The best time was just under one minute. The couple that won received beer and five times the wife’s weight in cash. It was $655. The couple also qualified to compete in the world championship in Finland.
Difficult words: annual (happening every year), competition (a sports event where you compete – try to win), obstacle (something which makes the way more difficult), course (a route, a way), weight (how heavy somebody/something is).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos