William and Kate cancel a trip to a Belize village – level 2
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge planned a tour of the Caribbean countries Belize, Jamaica, and the Bahamas. They belonged to the British monarchy in the past.
Barbados was another Caribbean country that belonged to Britain, and Barbados became independent last year. Many people thought that William and Kate made the trip to persuade the local people. They wanted Belize, Jamaica, and the Bahamas to stay a part of the British monarchy.
The first stop of the visit was going to be a Belize village, and William and Kate wanted to visit a cacao farm. Then, local people protested against the visit. They said that they didn’t want William and Kate’s helicopter to land there. The couple started their tour in another place.
Difficult words: tour (traveling from one place to another), monarchy (a government with a king or queen), persuade (to make someone believe something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos