Windrush Day – level 1
Last week, Britain remembers 75 years since the first ship comes from the Caribbean to Tilbury Docks in Essex.
The ship is called HMT Empire Windrush. On June 22, 1948, many people come on the ship to help Britain after World War II. More people from the Caribbean come later. They contribute a lot to British culture. There are celebrations in Windsor, Southwark Cathedral, and London Waterloo station. People dance, sing, and celebrate. King Charles says that the Windrush generation makes a big difference to Britain.
But some people were angry and hurt. This year is also five years since the Windrush scandal. Many people who have the right to live in the UK, must go back to their countries.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact do you think the arrival of the Windrush generation had on British culture?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.