Winter worries doctors – level 3
Health officials are getting worried about the so-called “triple-demic”; it is an onslaught of three major respiratory illnesses in the upcoming winter season.
A surge in cases of respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV, and an increase in COVID-19 both came earlier than the normal flu season this year. Infants under age 5 and adults over 65 are mostly impacted by RSV. Emergency rooms are already impacted by the surge, and according to experts, children may be getting sick because of social distancing or masks. Among older individuals, the virus causes pneumonia, and it’s very hard to distinguish from influenza or COVID-19.
Meanwhile, data shows that the coronavirus is still spreading, and in the US, there are 260,000 new cases and over 2,500 deaths reported weekly. The US President Joe Biden urged more people to get the booster vaccine before the upcoming winter season.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.