Witch at Hospital – level 1
People in Italy celebrate Epiphany Eve. Epiphany Eve is the night of January 5. A witch called Befana visits homes. She gives gifts and sweets to children. She is similar to Santa Claus or Saint Nicholas. They give gifts on Christmas.
A woman does something special. She visits children in hospital. She wants to make the sick children happy.
She flies like Befana among the hospital buildings. She waves. Children and hospital staff are happy. They cheer and wave.
The woman´s name is Donatella. She is a mountain rescuer. She hangs on a cable. She usually uses the cable in her work.
Difficult words: cheer (when people shout because they are happy), mountain rescuer (a person who helps people who have an accident in the mountains), cable (a strong and thick rope usually from metal or plastic).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.