Witch at Hospital – level 2
Befana is a traditional witch who brings sweets and gifts to children in Italy. This happens on the night of January 5, which is called Epiphany Eve. The tradition is very similar to Santa Claus or Saint Nicholas on Christmas.
A woman decided to do something special. She wanted to make sick children at the Taranto hospital happy. She dressed up as Befana and she flew among the hospital buildings. Hospital staff and children cheered and waved.
The woman’s name is Donatella and she works as a mountain rescuer. She used a cable which rescuers usually use in their work, and she hung onto it.
Difficult words: traditional (something usual and old), tradition (an activity which people do regularly and it exists for a long time), dress up (to wear special clothes to look like somebody or something else).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.