Wolves have better teeth – level 2
The red wolf, a unique type of wolf in the USA, is making a slow comeback thanks to a breeding program.
Point Defiance Zoo in Tacoma, Washington, helps by looking after their teeth. Broken teeth can make it hard for these wolves to eat properly. Around 270 red wolves remain, most in zoos, and only 20 in the wild in eastern North Carolina. The zoo’s vets gave the wolves dental checkups and cleaned their teeth. They also did x-rays and removed bad teeth.
Wolves in zoos live longer because they get regular health checkups. Red wolves used to live in many places in the USA but had a hard time surviving. Zoologists are trying to protect and reintroduce them.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures are being taken to help reintroduce red wolves to their natural habitats?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.