Woman drives into a river – level 2
A woman in China was driving her car when she lost control of it. She suddenly swerved to the left and fell into a roadside river. A security camera captured the dramatic moment.
Luckily, witnesses came to her rescue right away. One man said that the car was in the water for 10 minutes before they could save her. Somebody used a jumper as a rope to pull the woman out. The car disappeared under water just seconds afterwards.
A crane later recovered the woman’s vehicle. She walked away without a scratch.
Difficult words: swerve (to change direction), right away (immediately), crane (a large, tall machine which moves heavy objects).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are men better drivers than women?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.