Woman is free after 10 years – level 2
10 years ago a man kidnapped a woman. She was just 15 when she disappeared. Her captor forced her to marry him and have their child.
The woman contacted police on Tuesday. She told detectives her story. Fifteen years ago, her then boyfriend drugged her and locked her in a garage. She tried to escape two times. The man beat her afterwards. Police arrested the 41 year-old man.
Difficult words: kidnap (to take somebody somewhere by force), captor (somebody who is keeping another person prisoner), have (give birth).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you know anybody who was kidnapped?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.