Woman sentenced to death in the USA – level 1
This news is about a woman. She is American. She is from Georgia. She plots to kill her husband.
Police catch her. A judge sentences her to death. This does not happen very often. Not many women are sentenced to death.
Pope Francis was in the USA. He tried to help this woman.
Difficult words: plot (to plan), sentence to death (to kill a criminal for doing something very bad), was (past of “is”).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about executing criminals?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.