Women Can Vote – level 1
Nowadays, we think that it is normal that men and women do the same things. However, in the past, the situation is very different.
Around the year 1840, women start to protest in the US. Black people cannot do the same things as white people. Some women see that they cannot do the same things as men. They want to change the situation. Women want to vote. However, many people do not agree with this. Woodrow Wilson, the US president, does not want women to vote. This is the situation before World War I.
However, after the war, the law changes. In 1920, women can vote in the US. More than 8 million women vote in 1920.
In 2016, more than 74 million women vote for the US president. More women than men come to vote.
Difficult words: protest (when many people meet in the streets because they do not agree with something and they want to change it), vote (to choose a person for a job in politics), law (rules that say what people must and must not do).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.