Women Enter Hindu Temple – level 1
In September, a court of India stops a rule. The rule says that some women cannot go in temples. They are 10 to 50 years old. In Hinduism, women who menstruate are not clean and they cannot go in temples.
After the change of the rule, many women try to go in one big temple. Some people stop them. Then, two 40-year-old women go in the temple with the policemen. The policemen protect them.
In one town, women make a wall from their bodies. The wall is 400 miles long. The wall is a protest. The women protest because they do not like discrimination.
Difficult words: court (a house where a judge is), rule (what you must do), temple (a church in India), menstruate (when blood goes out of a woman’s body every month), discrimination (when your situation is more difficult because you are a man or a woman).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos