Women protest in Argentina – level 3
Last week, thousands of people marched against femicide and gender violence in Argentina’s capital of Buenos Aires.
The protest was part of a movement called ‘Ni Una Menos’ or ‘Not One Woman Less’. The march culminated at the National Congress, where protesters lit candles to remember victims of gender-based violence.
According to reports, one femicide was recorded every 35 hours in the country last year, and 81% of women killed were victims of domestic violence. Many of the murdered women previously made claims with the police; however they weren’t listened to. According to one protester, Argentinian justice was slow and patriarchal, and politicians have no clear answers to the violence.
Difficult words: femicide (the murder of a woman or girl because of her gender), culminate (to end or arrive at the final stage), patriarchal (a system of society or government that men control).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos