Work on Big Ben – level 1
Big Ben is a famous building in the UK. It is 160 years old. It must be maintained. People start to work on it in 2017.
For many years, people paint the numbers and the hands of the clock black. This week, people show some of the work. They show that the numbers and the hands are blue now. This is the original colour.
The work is going to continue until 2021. The roof must be fixed. People must protect the building from water.
Difficult words: maintain (do work on something so that it works well), hands (the lines on a clock that point to the numbers which tell you the time), continue (go on).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos