World Giraffe Day – level 1
The 21st June is a special date. In the northern hemisphere, the day is the longest of the year. In the southern hemisphere, the opposite is true. The night on 21st June is the longest of the year.
The giraffe is the animal with the longest neck. People make June 21st the World Giraffe Day. On this day, people can learn about giraffes. They can grow to around six metres. They eat leaves and buds.
Difficult words: hemisphere (a half of the planet), bud (a thing on a plant from which a leaf later grows).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos