World War I memorial – level 2
During World War I, there was a big battle at Gallipoli in Turkey, in which about 130,000 soldiers died. Australia and New Zealand were part of this battle, and it was the first time that the countries went to war. The people of these countries were proud because it showed that they were separate from England.
Now, it is 2015. Many people visit Gallipoli from Australia and New Zealand as a pilgrimage to honour the soldiers who died there. On April 25, people commemorated the battle from 100 years ago. They call April 25 Anzac Day.
Difficult words: pilgrimage (when people visit a special place), commemorate (to remember or honour).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this service?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.