World’s biggest Ikea store – level 3
Ikea opened its biggest store in the world in the Philippines, with the new 68,000-square-meter store in Manila, a cornerstone of the Swedish home-furnishings giant’s growth plans in Asia.
The Philippines is a very good area for a business with its growing economy, growing middle class, and domestic environment. It’s been the right place for Ikea for a long time. However, Ikea is predicting a more difficult year ahead in 2022, due to logistic logjams and price increases for raw materials as a result from the pandemic.
The opening comes as Ikea has grown its e-commerce presence with online orders now making for 26% of its global sales. The company has more than 460 physical stores in about 60 markets, and it plans to add nearly 60 more locations in the current financial year. The company is looking at more than Asia, as it will take its first step into South America next year, opening a store in Chile’s Santiago.
Difficult words: cornerstone (the basic part of something’s existence or success), logistic logjam (a problem with getting or removing things and which seems to have no solution), e-commerce (buying and selling of products or services over the Internet).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.