World’s largest trees can burn – level 1
Authorities close Sequoia National Park. The park is in California, US. The world’s tallest trees grow there. They are called sequoias.
Around 2,400 sequoias are in the park. Two large fires are burning close to the park. It is possible that the sequoias will burn. Firefighters put aluminum around the lowest parts of the trees. It will keep them safe from fire.
General Sherman is the tallest tree in the world. It is in the park, too. It is 83.82 meters high. It is between 2,300 to 2,700 years old.
Fires are also good for sequoias. It is interesting that fire helps sequoias grow. When it is hot, sequoias make more seeds. Fires burns other trees. Then, sequoias have more space.
Difficult words: aluminum (a light silver-grey material which does not get hot), seed (a small oval thing from which a new plant grows), space (free area which somebody can use).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos