World’s oldest woman dies – level 1
Kane Tanaka is the oldest woman in the world. She is 119 years old. She dies on April 19.
Tanaka lives in the city of Fukoka, Japan. She marries an owner of a shop when she is 19 years old. Tanaka works in the shop until she is 103.
The woman spends the last years of her life in a nursing home. A nursing home is a place where elderly people live. Tanaka likes math. She likes to learn new things. Her family says that these things help her live so long.
Tanaka is born in 1903. She lives through both world wars. She survives the Spanish flu pandemic in 1918. She survives COVID-19, too.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.