World’s Protected Land – level 1
Scientists do a study. They watch how much protected land there is. There is less and less protected land. From 1961 to 2019, there are 1.3 million square miles less of protected land. This is mostly because of industry.
In the USA, there is less and less protected land, too.
Difficult words: study noun (a science ‘project’ which gets information about something), protected land (for example, land which is only for animals and people cannot build there), industry (a big business, especially the type which is bad for animals and plants because it is very dirty).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos