World’s Tallest Statue – level 3
People unveiled the world’s tallest statue, the Statue of Unity, in Gujarat State in India. Including the 58-metre base, it is 240 metres tall – almost 100 metres taller than the second tallest statue, which is the Spring Temple Buddha in China.
It is a statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, a founding father of the Republic of India who played a leading role in the country’s struggle for independence. Narendra Modi, India’s Prime Minister, said that it would keep reminding India and the whole world of his courage, capability and resolve.
The Statue of Unity is made of bronze, cost almost 430 million US dollars and took five years to build.
Difficult words: unveil (show something to people for the first time), founding father (a person who starts or helps to start a movement or institution/country), struggle (a long fight), independence (being free [from another country]), capability (the power to do something), resolve (the strong will/want to do something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos