Yacht sinks near Italy – level 1
A big yacht sails in the Mediterranean sea last week. It sails to the Italian island of Sicily. Suddenly, the yacht has problems. Water gets into the back part of the boat. The captain calls for help.
The coast guard come. They try to help the boat. They are not successful.
Four passengers and five staff are on the boat. They are safe. The boat sinks. Authorities must find out why the boat sinks.
Some journalists say that the boat belongs to a rich Russian man. He is 54 years old. He has a coal company in Russia. The yacht costs more than 50 million dollars.
Difficult words: yacht (a very big and expensive boat), coast guard (people, who protect the coast, and they help ships which have problems), staff (workers at a specific place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos