Young Girl Can Hear – level 3
Charlotte was born without an ear canal in her left ear, causing her to be partially deaf. Now, at five years old, she is the youngest person ever to receive an inner ear implant.
Doctor Powell explained that the device is small and implanted behind the ear and under the skin where it can directly stimulate the inner ear with vibration to take sound into the ear.
Charlotte’s mother, Sophie, said that it was hard to understand Charlotte due to her deafness. Now she is understandable and can hear better, thanks to the device.
Charlotte explained that she can hear so many things now that she ‘can’t even remember how many things!’
Difficult words: ear canal (the opening from the head into the ear), inner ear (the part of the ear canal where sound vibrates so that you can hear sound), implant (when people insert something into a body), stimulate (encourage development or activity), due to (because of).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos