Young People and Race – level 2
Generation Z and millennials often discuss news that relate to race. People who belong to Generation Z are people who were born after 2001. Millennials are people who were born between 1981 and 1996. Many of these young people feel that it is important to get information about race and racism.
These people have a favorite way to get and share information through Twitter, Instagram and influencers. One account that focuses on social issues jumped from 10,000 to 1.4 million followers since June. This shows that young people are getting more interested in these issues.
However, there are problems, too. Some accounts support radical ideas and racism. Experts say that it is very important to speak to friends and families about these topics and not only join online conversations.
Difficult words: influencer (a person who has the power to inspire many people, usually through social media), social issue (a problem of many people), radical (very different from the usual things or ways).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos