Animals see the future – level 3
As another football tournament kicks off it’s not the players that are garnering all the attention but rather a collection of animals hoping to prove their psychic powers. We all remember Paul the Octopus who rose to fame when he predicted the outcome of eight matches in the 2010 World Cup.
Now Oobi-Ooobi the koala and Astrid the sea lion are battling for title of the most reliable oracle for the month-long tournament played in France. The German zoo director said the animals were both picked due to their impartial nature to European football.
After a long moment of deliberation, Oobi-Ooobi picked neither the jar, predicting that Germany will draw with Ukraine. Astrid the sea lion, on the other hand, foresaw a win for Ukraine, presenting his German keepers with the bad news.
Difficult words: garner (collect, get), psychic (supernatural, magical), predict (say that something will happen), battle (a fight), oracle (somebody who can tell the future), due to (because of), impartial (neutral, non-biased), deliberation (thought), foresee (say that something will happen).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
We write news in three different levels of English. We want to help you understand English more. Now all students can enjoy reading and listening.
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.