Bio-bus runs on poo – level 3
The UK’s first number two bus is to hit the road powered entirely by human and food waste.
The all new bio-bus which operates between Bath and Bristol Airport can travel up to 186 miles (299 km) in just one tank of gas which will take the annual waste up to five people to produce.
The poo-powered bus uses gases that were generated through the treatment of sewage and food waste that is unfit for human consumption.
“Of course we’re going to get the headlines… But it doesn’t really run on waste. It obviously runs on the bio-product of waste. And bio-methane is not a fossil fuel. It’s infinitely renewable. All the time there are people on the planet producing waste. The bio-methane will be produced. So, it’s carbon neutral.”
The bus seats up to 40 people and the first set of passengers are expected to be tourists flying into Bristol and visiting the historic city of Bath.
Difficult words: number two (slang for poo), bio-bus (bus that runs on biological waste), waste (trash, the stuff that comes out of your body after you drink or eat food), annual (yearly), sewage (waste water and dirt in the sewers – an underground system which carries dirty water), obviously (clearly), fossil fuel (carbon liquid or gas we use to make gasoline for vehicles), infinitely (limitlessly, forever), carbon neutral (it does not use carbon or fossil fuels and so cannot run out of fuel).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.