Criminals want a kidney – level 2
An immigrant in Spain who was in economic need went to five gang members to make money. He agreed to give them his kidney. The criminals of Serbian origin said that they would give him 6,000 euros, but he changed his mind. He was afraid that they would not give him the money. Then they kidnapped him and beat him to force him to agree.
Police arrested the criminals. The police discovered that the criminals were attempting to help their leader get a kidney for his son.
Difficult words: economic need (when you do not have much money), origin (being from a place), attempt (to try).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think the man was right to go to the criminals for money?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.