Shark attacks a surfer – level 2
A three-time world surfing champion was preparing for the final of a surfing league in South Africa when a shark appeared next to him.
It knocked the man off his board. He started kicking and screaming and even punched the shark. Everything was broadcast on live television. Amazingly, nothing happened to the surfer.
There are many sharks in the South African waters. In 2013, a great white shark killed a swimmer.
Difficult words: league (a group of games), punch (to hit with a closed hand), broadcast (to send video or audio).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you surf?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.